Monday, January 16, 2012

Wheat Berry Salad

I'm looking forward to trying new ways to eat the whole grains from our Lonesome Whistle CSA. I made this wheat berry salad to go with poached chicken. For the deconstructionist 4-year old member of our family, I served just plain wheat berries, cucumbers, spinach, and feta. He said that all the ingredients were good and finished everything on his plate! Yeah! We ate it up so quickly that I didn't even have a chance to take a picture!

Wheat Berry Salad
1 c wheat berries (from Lonesome Whistle CSA)
3 c water
1T olive oil
5 shallots (from Open Oak CSA)
3 cloves garlic (from Open Oak CSA)
several handfuls of spinach
sliced cucumbers
crumbled feta cheese
salt and pepper

Place wheat berries, 1T olive oil, and water in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and simmer until wheat berries have absorbed all of the water. In another pan, saute shallots and garlic. Add and steam spinach with salt and pepper until bright green. Combine wheat berries, feta, spinach mixture, and cucumbers together.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, it's totally irrational but wheat berries intimidate me. Silly isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I get it! I'm horribly intimidated by the 2 pounds of purple barley in my kitchen right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This salad looks delicious and I think it would really work well with barley as well.

    ReplyDelete