Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Refried Calypso Beans

After making Pasta and Calypso Beans, I still had half of a batch of cooked beans. One staple dinner in our family is simple burritos. I normally use refried beans from a can to which I add onions, garlic, cumin powder, and chili. This was so simple to make, and I like the "build your own" aspect to burritos. I liked the Calypso beans and in the pasta recipe, but I'm not convinced they are the right bean flavor for this dinner.

Refried beans and simple burritos
2 c cooked Calypso Beans (from Lonesome Whistle CSA)
olive oil
cumin
chili powder
salt and pepper
shallots (from Open Oak CSA)
garlic (from Open Oak CSA)
spinach
ground beef cooked
tortillas
salsa
plain yogurt

Heat oil in a skillet. Add beans and mash with a spoon. Add in spices to taste. In a separate pan, saute shallots and garlic and wilt spinach. Cook ground beef with same spices. Serve all parts separately or together on a tortilla.

1 comment:

  1. We are big simple burrito eaters too as it's a meal the kiddos often gobble up. Wow- making your own refried beans. So enlightening!!

    ReplyDelete