Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pasta and Calypso Beans


I picked up our first bucket of grains and beans from our Lonesome Whistle CSA. Thirteen pounds of flour, beans, barley, wheat berries, and oats. It's the first time I've had a CSA like this, and it's a little intimidating!

I decided to start with a simple family bean soup recipe. However, I cooked the beans too long in my slow cooker without adding the meats. I'll try bean soup again sometime soon. For now, I decided to turn some of the beans into a simple recipe from Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites Cookbook.

The calypso beans are so creamy and worked well in this recipe. The recipe was good for our family because it was easy to deconstruct by keeping the beans and pasta separate for a member of our family who is not a fan of tomatoes.

Pasta and Calypso Beans
2 c dry beans (from CSA) (I used 2 c cooked beans in the recipe)
5 c water
5 shallots chopped (from CSA)
2 cloves garlic minced (from CSA)
1 t dried rosemary
olive oil
1 28-oz can of tomatoes
salt and pepper
brown rice pasta

Place the beans and water in slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours.


This over cooked them, but was perfect timing for this recipe.


Boil water for pasta. Add brown rice pasta, cook 1 minute, and then let stand in hot water for 15 minutes.

Cook shallots, garlic, and rosemary in olive oil.


Add in can of tomatoes, 2 cups of cooked beans, salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes. Blend with immersion blender. Pour sauce over pasta.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so intrigued with all the different beans you're trying out. Hopefully the intimidation is mostly fun and not too overwhelming. I think it's these simple meals with beans that I'm really looking forward to trying. My toddlers respond best to the simple meals over the "casserole" type meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry if my instructions caused you to overcook the beans! These newly picked ones don't need all that much time at all.

    ReplyDelete