Friday, January 6, 2012

Quinoa Casserole


This is a dinner that happens when the work week starts without a plan, and I try to make dinner while also trying to entertain a hungry four year old who wants to help.

I had two bags of quinoa that have been in the cabinet for six months, which I used as a starting pont to find something in my recipe books. I also had some sour cream (original calls for cottage cheese, jack cheese or tofu) and parsley left from holiday meals, and lots of spices. The original recipe in Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone is officially for Spicy Quinoa and Potato Croquettes. I didn't have the time for monitoring anything on the stove top and was more in the mood for a casserole dish. I'm calling this Quinoa Casserole. It worked well, and everyone said it was good. I think we'll keep this recipe around.
Quinoa Casserole
3 potatoes peeled and chopped (from CSA)
1 /3 c dry quinoa
2/3 c water
1/2 onion chopped (from CSA)
olive oil
2 t paprika
1 t coriander
1 t cumin
1/2 t oregano
3 cloves garlic minced (from CSA)
1/4 c chopped parsley
1 egg
1/3 c sour cream
salt
1/4 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Cook quinoa in water simmering until all water is absorbed (12-15 minutes). Boil potatoes in water until soft. Mash potatoes into the cooked quinoa.
Meanwhile, saute onion for a couple of minutes and then add in spices and salt. Once onions are cooked through, add in garlic. Add to quinoa/potato mix. Add in parsley, egg, and sour cream. Mix well. Place in casserole dish and cover with shredded cheese. Bake 300F for 20-25 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious, and would probably work well with other grains too, like barley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good and I've wanted to experiment more with quinoa as a number of people in my family use it a lot as an alternative grain.

    ReplyDelete