Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Rutabaga Fries

The first time I cooked a rutabaga was last winter when they were included in our CSA bag. They are a cross between a turnip and cabbage, and I think taste like a mild Brussel sprout. Last year, I made a Waldorf salad with the rutabagas.

When our CSA share had two Rutabagas this week, I decided to make them into fries with a recipe suggested by our famers. I want to like rutabagas because they have a lot of Vitamin C and dietary fiber, and they have such a great name.

The recipe is fine and easy to make. However, honestly none of my family liked them very much. I haven't acquired a taste for rutabagas yet, and consequently, I don't think I would purposely seek them out. However, this is one of the reasons I enjoy getting a CSA share--as a challenge to eat foods that are not part of our normal repertoire. Next time we get rutabagas, I might try to make them into mashed potatoes to see if we like them more that way.
Rutabaga Fries

Rutabagas (from our CSA)
Salt
Olive oil
Water

Cut rutabagas into large fry shapes. Place in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain. Coat with olive oil and salt. Bake 30 minutes in 400F oven until browned.


2 comments:

  1. I quite like cube rutabaga in a stir fry. It takes on a consistency kind of like taro root and a spicy soy sauce will temper the sharpness of the rutabaga. The rest of my family are not big fans though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever had rutabaga. This CSA sounds so interesting. I love trying new things.... when life is calmer. :-)

    ReplyDelete