Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Mexican Wedding Cakes, Russian Tea Cakes, Snowballs


These crowd pleasing cookies are called Mexican Wedding Cakes, Russian Tea Cakes, and Snowballs in our family. My husband's mother included this recipe in a lovely book she made for us of family recipes. I wanted to use up a little rye flour that was in my freezer so tried to make these with rye flour rather than wheat flour. I liked the taste, which was a little "earthier." My four-year old proclaimed that they were delicious and ate many cookies!



Recipe
1/2 c butter
4 T powder sugar
1/2 c ground nuts--filberts (from Thistledown Farm)
1 t vanilla
1 c rye flour (from CSA)
Powdered sugar for top

Grind nuts in food processor. In mixer, beat butter until soft, add sugar and beat well. Mix in flour, nuts, and vanilla and beat well. Roll into small balls or scoop with melon baller and place on cookie sheet. Bake 325F for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from pan and roll in powdered sugar or dust tops and bottoms with powdered sugar.


3 comments:

  1. Yum! I like the idea of filberts and rye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If a 4-yr old likes it, it must be REALLY good. :) Sounds and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these kinds of cookies. Love that you used filberts in it!

    ReplyDelete