Thursday, December 15, 2011

Karen's Roasted Beet Vishyssoise

On dreary fall days, I enjoy enjoy eating potato-leek soup. I often make mine with a milk base, but thought I'd try the dairy free version my friend Karen wrote about on her blog. It's a modified potato-leek (from our CSA) soup with roasted beets (from our CSA) and a very flavorful vegetable scrape broth.

She has wonderful pictures, recipe list, and step-by-step instructions on her blog.

I did make a couple of modifications to the recipe. First, I roasted both the beets and the potatoes in the oven. The beets were gorgeous when I cut into them; some were red and white stripped and others were yellow and white stripped.

I also did not make the pesto, but instead added ginger and garlic (from our CSA) directly to the soup in the last stages of cooking.

The beets were super sweet and so the soup has a very sweet taste. And because of the coloring of the beets the color is more pink-light brown than the vibrant red in the original on Karen's blog. The soup was also delicious with a little cheese sprinkled over the top.

2 comments:

  1. I love beets. I'll have to give Karen's recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it. Those striped beets are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete