Monday, December 19, 2011

Kenyan-Mexican Fusion

This meal was inspired by a comment from my friend and Kenyan host sister Lilian. When I stayed with Lilian and her family we often had sukuma wiki, ugali, beans, and chapatis as a base for dinner. My family lived in a rural part of Western Kenya and the cooking was done in a cooking house behind the main house over an open fire.

This meal is meant to be eaten with your hands (specifically one hand). Sukuma wiki is typically collard greens cooked with an onion and tomato. Ugali is similar to polenta, but it is used to pick up the greens, beans, or meat served with the meal. Chapatis reminded me of tortillas that my mom makes to eat as burritos on a hot/dry pan; however, the chapatis were fried in oil or lard. On one occasion, I cooked for my host family and made refried beans with garlic and a chilli powder. I modified everything a little bit based on the ingredients that we had at home.

Sukuma wiki
1 bunch mustard greens (from CSA)
1 onion
2 cloves garlic (from CSA)
grapeseed oil

Chop onion and cut greens into strips. Heat oil in a pan and cook onions until translucent. Add greens and garlic and cook until greens are wilted and brightly colored.

I liked the mustard greens. Yum!

Ugali
2 c water
1 c corn flour (from CSA)
1 t salt
1 T butter

Heat water and salt until boiling. Slowly add in corn meal (or flour) stirring quickly to prevent (or remove) as many lumps as possible. Add in butter near the end.


I am quite out of practice and my ugali was very lumpy and didn't hold up well when picked up by hand, but tasted great when paired with the greens.


Chapatis
4 c flour mix of whole wheat and white
4 T butter
1 T baking powder
1 t salt
1 1/2 c water

Mix all ingredients together using hands or a pastry knife. Roll out into rounds chapatis.


Cook over medium heat and flip when bubbles start to appear. Can be cooked with oil or without on a griddle or cast iron pan.


My chapatis were not quite round even though I used my Kenyan chapati board and rolling pin. I could hear my Kenyan host mom in my ear reminding me to make them as round as possible. But they tasted great and held up for several days for a variety of toppings!


Beans
1 can garbanzo beans
2 cloves garlic (from CSA)
1/2 onion
2 t cumin
2 t chili powder
oil

Heat oil and cook onions until translucent. Add in beans, spices, and garlic. Cook until heated through.
The beans were a nice addition to the meal. I think especially with the more typical Mexican flavoring it was a nice compliment to the other parts of the meal.


5 comments:

  1. What creative recipes you are doing! I totally feel like I'm in a rut looking at your blog. I love that this recipe is so simple and yet different from what we normally eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to hear about your experience in Kenya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got it right. A good student and sharp memory. I am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lilian! I'm glad to know that it looked right :) I wrote down recipes in my journal and looked online to fill in a couple of holes in my memory.

    ReplyDelete