Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Bread Starter Day 1

This term, I am teaching a course entitled "Bread 101" with four colleagues including the authors of the Fairmount Neighborhood Farmers Market Blog and Culinaria Eugenius.  As part of the course, students will be asked to use Chad Robertson's Tartine Book 3 recipe and instructions for beginning a sourdough starter much like Michael Pollan did in his book Cooked.  We passed out 1/2 gallon jars to each of the students today, and they will get their instructions in two days for beginning and tracking their starter.  I was too excited to wait.

The Tartine 3 recipe calls for measuring water and flour in by mass, but I don't have a kitchen scale.  So I used an online cooking conversion chart to estimate volume. My 2 year old and I added some water.


Next came the flour as a white/wheat mix.  Cow jammies and sunglasses are essential to the process.


We took turns stirring it together.


Once it was all nicely mixed,


 we covered the bowl and put it on the counter until tomorrow.


Grow little starter, grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment