Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Kohlrabi Slaw

Our Open Oak Farmers recommended making a slaw recipe from the Washington Post out of the kohlrabi included in our CSA bag this week.  My aunt, who was visiting, graciously volunteered to grate all of the vegetables as we rushed to get dinner made before my children had swimming lessons.  And of course, I didn't have several of the dressing ingredients recommended in the original recipe (I was so glad that my mom and aunt, who are both great cooks, acknowledged that they make spur of the moment substitutions in the kitchen all the time), but the dressing turned out nicely.  I think this might now be my favorite way to eat kohlrabi.

Kohlrabi Slaw (adapted from a recipe by Cynthia A. Brown)
1 green kohlrabi and 1 purple kohlrabi shredded (from Open Oak CSA)
2 carrots shredded (from Open Oak CSA)
15 stems parsley chopped (from Open Oak CSA)
3 green onions chopped (from Open Oak CSA)
1 T toasted sesame oil
4 T balsamic vinegar
1 T honey
1 t chili powder
1 t ginger powder 
Grate vegetables and place together in a bowl.  Separately combine the dressing ingredients and then mix together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment