Sunday, April 22, 2012

Arikara Bean Hummus

Our recent Lonesome Whistle CSA included Arikara Beans.  I cooked them in the slow cooker like I have with Calypso and  Rio Zape Beans; however, I found that these are very mild and even a little bland in flavor when eaten plain.  We ate them in soup and burritos, but my favorite way to eat these beans was in a delicious batch of hummus I made.

Everyone in my family eats and enjoys hummus--especially immediately after it has been made.  We ate it on tortilla chips, carrots, bread and just plain by the spoonful.  My recipe is adapted from the Moosewood Cookbook for the ingredients; however, I never measure any of the ingredients--just add them to taste--and the recipe varies each time based on what we in the kitchen.

Hummus 
2 cups cooked Arikara Beans (from Lonesome Whistle CSA)
1 lemon juiced
cumin
4 cloves garlic
salt
parsley
tahini
olive oil 
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until the beans are completely mashed and mixed with the other ingredients.


1 comment:

  1. Yum. Fresh hummus is the best. You've inspired me to cook up a batch.

    ReplyDelete